Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Scary Storm



I decided I better write about our story of the storm on February 13, 2008. I have never in my life seen such strong winds combined with snow. That evening at 4:55pm I headed out to work (which is 2 blocks away). Dave hadn't got home yet from work due to the weather so I took Taylor with me. I did know the weather was crazy outside but my house windows were frosted over and I couldn't see out to watch what was happening. As I pulled out of my driveway, I wasn't so sure I should go anywhere. Being the loyal employee I was, I went for it and about a block down the road I saw brake lights and no one was moving. I couldn't see what was going on because I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me. So I turned around and decided to go around the block. Visability got worse-I could barely see the front of my car and I had no idea where the road was. I did my best to drive and got around the block. I was feeling lucky to be about 20 feet from the parking lot when I realized I wasn't moving anymore. I couldn't figure out what happened. I opened my door to look out - well I saw the problem - there was snow up to the bottom of my car. I wasn't going anywhere. Taylor and I spent the next hour and a half in the car watching others get stuck behind me and next to me. During this time I was on the phone with Dave and telling him my story and listening to his. Luckily he got to about a mile from home but could not get any further (This was after he had pushed many stuck cars out of his was). At that point he knew he was getting any closer to home so put on his ski helmet, gloves, and goggles which he had in the car and ran for it. He ran all the way to Taylor and I. As he got to us a nice guy had shoveled out my car and with Dave's help they pushed me out of the snow drift and I got to the parking lot. Poor Dave was frozen solid in his levis and thin jacket. We spent the next 2 hours in the Ivory Homes building talking with others who were stranded and watched the storm out the windows. That night I heard of women having babies in gas stations, kids stuck on school buses or at school, and many other stuck and having health problems. We were lucky to be warm and safe. Around 8:30pm after Dave ran home and got us snow clothes we braved the storm and walked the two blocks back home. Both ends of the street were blocked with cars stuck in snow drifts so we couldn't drive. I have never felt the cold that way before and I could not see to walk. Taylor was so scared he didn't move (which Taylor is a mover so that is very uncommon) on the walk home. On the walk home we climbed over a 5 foot drift of snow that was completely covering two cars. Dave was a brave hero that night and shoveled out many stuck cars and help many families to safety. What a rememberable night. This one goes in the books. That night there was 70mph winds and storm flying sideways. The pictures do not tell the true story. Luckily we were safe and our story doesn't even compare to others who were stuck a long ways from home all night long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tra, I'm glad you guys were safe!! That was a CRAZY night! Our backyard faces 1200 west and we saw so many cars stuck all night long, even two semi's got stuck.. needless to say, we didn't get a lot of sleep that night!! I was glad to be home and SO glad to not have to commute from the airport... Glad Dave made it home safely!