Monday, September 15, 2008

Wasatch 100 Mile Endurance Run


Who would run 100 miles? That is just simply crazy!

Dave has a co-worker/friend, Jeff, who runs a lot. He does a lot of ultra marathons. Dave had mentioned a few times that Jeff was doing the Wasatch 100 but I hadn't asked many questions. Dave also had mentioned that he might go run with him to support him and be a pacer. Once again I didn't ask questions and hadn't heard too much about it. About three days before the race Dave tells me he is going to go run with Jeff. At this point I got curious. So, I asked the questions. What is this race? How far is Jeff running? How far are you running? When are you running? Have you trained? What the heck are you thinking?

Jeff ran 100 miles over the mountain tops of the Wasatch Front on dirt trails for 32 hours. Dave ran the last 25 miles with him from Brighton to Midway. Dave met Jeff at 4:30am and ran until 1:30pm the next day. My amazing (or is crazy a better word) husband did not train for his 25 miles and has only been running up to 6 miles to train for his triathlons. And lets be honest he wasn't been running very often.

They both finished the race (Dave as a pacer) and I was absolutely amazed. Dave had a knee that bothered him but otherwise felt great. He said he wasn't that tired and really enjoyed it. Jeff just blew me away. I don't know how he can run a 100 miles but he did it and he is my hero for doing it.

I love the outdoors and one of my favorite things to do is hike through the mountains so this race caught my attention. I decided this might not be a bad thing to train for. Then reality hit me, they have to finish the race is 36 hours or the participant is pulled off the course, I am not a fast hiker! And one thing is for sure, I would not want to hike/run through the mountains all night in the dark - SCARY!!!

Way to go Jeff!
Dave way to go on running your first ever consecutive 25 miles!

3 comments:

Annelisa said...

Way to go Dave is right!!! Good Job!

Kari said...

That is just pure craziness!

Alison said...

I guess he'll start running marathons next, huh? That is so crazy to me! But I'm very impressed.